Here’s one of my favorite planks that targets the obliques, shoulders and even legs if you’re doing it right. The side plank – an awesome all over exercise. And you can progress it by adding a twist.
- Get into a side plank by stacking one foot on top of the other
- Press your weight into your feet while lifting your hips off the floor
- Your body should be in a straight line from head to ankles
- Shoulder and elbow stacked on top of each other and forearm in a 90 degree angle
- For a basic side plank, just reach your arm up to the sky and hold for 30 sec
- To progress, add a twist as you angle your torso towards the ground
- As always, keep your abs engaged, hips tucked under by drawing in your navel
- You should feel the burn in your obliques and abs quickly
- For an even greater challenge, try adding a 2-5 lb. weight
* Please keep in mind these videos are for educational and entertainment purposes only. Please consult a physician before starting any exercise routine.